The following meal plan gives an idea of what a player in training/playing would ideally be eating to help them perform their best on the pitch.
- Fresh fruit or un-sweetened fruit juice
- Wholegrain cereal e.g. Porridge, Weetabix, Bran flakes
- Wholemeal bread/toast
- Tea or Coffee.
- Fruit/low fat yogurt
- Decaffeinated Tea/Coffee or fruit juice.
- Lean meat, poultry, fish, low fat cheese (one thin slice) or baked beans
- Large serving of raw or cooked vegetables/salad
- Wholemeal bread.*
- Fish, chicken, lean meat or vegetarian alternatives (approx 4oz serving)
- Potato, rice or pasta (preferably wholegrain)
- Large serving of vegetables
- Fresh, cooked or tinned fruit (in own juice).
- Decaffeinated Tea/Coffee or low fat milky drink.
* The number of servings depends on your weight and activity level.
A little nutrition goes a long way.